Beef taco salad is a flavorful and easy to make family meal that’s sure to be on repeat all summer long! It’s loaded with all your favorite taco goodies.
Love easy summer salads? Try this Mouthwatering Strawberry Spinach Salad, Honey Lime Poppy Seed Fruit Salad, Best Ever Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon, BLT Tortellini Pasta Salad, or this Classic Potato Salad Recipe.
Beef Taco Salad
Hi! It’s Natasha here from Salt & Lavender bringing you this easy beef taco salad recipe. Now that it’s warm out, I’m ALL about salads for dinner. I love salads that you can eat as a meal. This salad is good and filling – it has plenty of veggies, protein, and healthy fats. It also has a fun crunch from the Doritos. I have to say that not eating the rest of the bag of chips while I’m making this salad is the hardest part of this recipe!
The best part of this salad? The dressing. It’s super easy and kinda magical, actually. All it requires is two ingredients – salsa and sour cream. Use your favorite salsa and you’re guaranteed to love it. You can use low-fat sour cream if you wish. If you want to thin the dressing out a little bit, add some fresh lime juice.
How to make beef taco salad
- Brown the beef. Cook it in a skillet with the spices for 8-10 minutes or until it’s cooked through. If there’s excess fat, drain it.
- Prep your salad ingredients and add them to a large salad bowl.
- Make the dressing. Mix the salsa and sour cream together until smooth.
- Toss the salad. Add the Doritos last so they retain their crunch!
You can use pre-made taco seasoning in this Doritos taco salad if you like – I just like to make my own with spices I have on-hand.
More taco recipes you’ll love:
Beef Taco Salad
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Beef taco salad is a flavorful and easy to make family meal that's sure to be on repeat all summer long! It's loaded with all your favorite taco goodies.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 6 cups romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 3/4 cup little tomatoes (grape or cherry, halved)
- 1/2 small red onion (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (e.g. cheddar or Tex-Mex blend)
- 1/2 cup canned corn (drained)
- 1/2 cup black beans (drained)
- 1/2 avocado (sliced/chopped)
- 1 cup Doritos (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (chopped - optional)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
Add the oil, ground beef, and spices to a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef until it's browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally (about 8-10 minutes). There should not be much (if any) fat to drain if you used lean ground beef. Just spoon the excess fat out if needed.
While the beef is cooking, start to prep your other salad ingredients, and make the dressing by mixing the sour cream and salsa together.
Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl. Once the beef is done, let it cool for a few minutes. Add the beef and Doritos to the salad last (so the Doritos don't get soggy). Toss the salad with the dressing, season with salt & pepper as needed, and serve immediately.
- Serves 4+ as a main dish and more as a side.
- Want to make the beef spicy? Add in 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Feel free to use ready-made taco seasoning instead of the spices I suggest if you wish.